Monday, 6 December 2010

Mari Strachan - 'The Earth Hums in B Flat'

Freezing cold outside, children plugged into various electronic gaming gadgets, so the perfect opportunity for me to curl up in front of a blazing fire with the dog-of-small-brain, and read.

I've had the novel 'The Earth Hums in B Flat' by Mari Strachan, sitting on my bookshelves for a while. I picked it up, and then couldn't put it down. In the end the children resigned themselves to fetching their own drinks and biscuits. Progress, some might say...

'The earth hums...' is told through the eyes of a young girl called Gwenni Morgan, and set in a small Welsh village during the fifties. When one of the locals goes missing, Gwenni turns detective and in so doing, unearths a whole lot more than she imagined. Family secrets, hidden scandals and wonderful insights into Gwenni's perception of the world combine to make this a brilliant, and very enjoyable book.

I had a peek at Mari Stachan's own website, www.maristrachan.info The novel has been both short-listed and long-listed for different awards, but whatever literary experts say, it is a cracking read, and I thoroughly recommend it.

Now, if only I could spend the rest of the week reading instead of having to venture out in this ghastly weather, life would be bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...