Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Stone #23

On pale straw stalks brown bulrushes sway, slowly being feathered by the wind.

I think one day this week I really ought to take some time away from my bumpkin existance, and head into town with the aim of writing about something other than plants, and birds, and muddy fields! But seeing the bulrushes this morning brought back memories of a kitten I had some years ago. She was a feisty little moggy, and I still miss her.

Back in those days, I used to have a vase of bulrushes in my kitchen. I had no idea they ripened into fluffy seedheads until the morning I came downstairs to discover the kitten had attacked them in the night. The floor was covered in what looked like masses and masses of thistle-down. Bulrush carnage. The wind which blows around the fishing pond near our house, is far more gentle.

8 comments:

  1. I love the image of the kitten amid bulrush carnage. It's funny, I often feel I need to get out of the concreteness of the city and off to the marshes and mud and plants (which is luckily only 20 minutes from my doorstep) where there is a small riverbed full of bulrushes at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bulrush is a sign of salvation - quite a carnage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! There's a lake near us with a huge clump of bullrushes and when I saw the scene a few weeks ago, it looked just like you describe.

    Lol, I bet that little kitty had such fun with the fluffy seedheads. :O)

    "I think one day this week I really ought to take some time away from my bumpkin existance, and head into town with the aim of writing about something other than plants, and birds, and muddy fields!" I was just thinking how beautiful your stones have become throughout the month. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I did that once with pussy willows...though not nearly as messy as bulrushes!
    Bumpkin stones are the very best stones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this is an amazing small stone! And I love the tale of your kitten & the bulrush :-)

    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much!! And it doesn't look like I'm going to have time to do anything other than carry on in my rural vein!

    Emm, I never knew that, that's very interesting x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing wrong with plants, birds and muddy fields!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...