Monday, 10 January 2011

Stone #7

The wind whips away another layer, stripping back my shame for the world to see.

I live in a crumbly old house which is, literally, falling down around my ears. The problem is I can't afford to fix it, and I can't afford to move. Of course, 'Tales' knows many people in this world don't have a roof over their heads, and is grateful to live in beautiful countryside, but I never imagined I'd be such a source of consternation to my neighbours.

They are lovely neighbours, and rescue me from many a disaster, but the sight of them shaking their heads together over the dodgy plaster falling off my house, has left me rattled and ashamed. I know they despair of the unkempt vibe generated by my being supremely useless at practical, 'householdery' tasks. Thing is though, the falling plaster has actually made quite a nice hole, shaped, interestingly, like the outline of France. Every time the wind blows, a little bit more falls off.

I am single-handedly lowering the tone of the neighbourhood... Oh well, it's a tough job, but someone has to do it!

3 comments:

  1. Have a diy party! Invite them all round, but they have to bring a bottle.... plus tools and materials. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam! I really like this post, and I have no idea where you are in the world, but this paints such a clear picture for me. And while I understand your worry about the neighbors, I think that far from lowering the tone of the neighborhood, you're maybe helping to set everyone in some charming story/film set-like environment. (At least, this is the effect of your writing, so: many points for you!) You may be the slightly quirky neighbor-character in this little vignette, but I bet your neighbors like you fine, and anyone who notices that the hole left by the crumbling plaster is shaped like France is okay by me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliza, that's a great idea, I hadn't thought of doing that. It's my birthday soon too!

    Amy, thank you for your kind comments... I might print them out and hand copies round next time eyebrows are being raised! I give my neighbours something to talk about, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...