Friday, 18 February 2011

An Evening Walk

It’s a beautiful evening. The sun is still high, turning the dove-grey clouds peachy-pink, and trimmed with gold. I throw open the back door and take in a deep breath, filling my lungs with the fresh, briny air, and my ears with the sound of curlews crying and eider calling. I walk through to the sitting room, drying my hands. “Come on,” I say to Verity-Anne, quiet in her crib. It’s a beautiful evening, Baby. Let’s go for our walk.”

Her blue eyes widen when I pick her up. “Mama,” she says. “Hush Baby,” I say. “It’s wonderful outside. Wait until you see the clouds. We’ll walk down to the seashore and see if we can spot a Kelpie playing in the waves.” She likes it when we do that. I tilt the pram so she can see, her blue eyes take everything in. Then the wind catches her blonde curls, and she looks just like the angel she is.

I dress her up in her soft snuggle-suit. It took me weeks to knit it last winter, working away by the light from the fire. It’s patterned with lace. She likes it, I think. She is a good baby.

I settle her in her pram, and off we go, the silver chassis squeaking over bumps. The woman next door is at her window. She waves as we walk past. “There goes May and Verity-Anne,” she’ll be saying to her husband. “Off on one of their walks. How she cares for that little girl. Takes her to see the sea, no matter the weather. So good for the baby, all that fresh air.”

We walk down the road. Verity-Anne snoozes, rocked by the pram. I sing her a lullaby, my voice joining with the curlews and ducks. But then I see the strangers. I stop singing as they grow nearer. My fingers tighten on the pram handle. Verity-Anne’s eyes flicker. I hope she won’t cry.

It is a woman walking, her hair wild and wind-blown, two boys gambolling around her, shouting “Look Mum,” and “I want another sweet Mum.” My heart lurches, but I make myself smile. I picture Verity-Anne, older, running up to meet them.

“Hello,” the woman says, clawing her unruly hair from her smiling face. They are outsiders; holiday-makers, I expect. I smile, intending to walk straight past. But the woman turns.

“What a beautiful…” She pauses, stricken. She doesn’t know how to finish. She was going to say ‘baby’ but the word hangs unsaid, floating in the air, there but not-there, airy, but leaden. I say nothing and keep walking.

“What is it?” I hear one of the boys saying, his scornful face turning to stare. “Shush,” the woman says, hurrying them on.

I walk on, down to the sea to look for Kelpies playing in the waves. No, I’m not mental. This doll is Verity-Anne. It’s what she would have looked like all of those years ago, if only she’d lived.



I don't know why this story came to mind this morning, but this really happened...I was the wild-haired woman who bent to admire the baby in the pram, only to find myself looking at a doll. And I didn't know what to say! What do you say? The woman herself offered made no explanations. Maybe it was her granddaughter's: who knows?

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, piognant and sad all at the same time. This really moved me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "peachy pink" makes me thing Spring might come...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very disturbing. I couldn't think what to say to the woman in question. I just flustered and stammered, and carried on as though it were perfectly normal to encounter an older woman pushing a pram with a doll inside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great. Loved "the woman says, clawing her unruly hair from her smiling face."
    It reminds me of meeting someone who was mute, and it totally freaked me out. I couldn't talk to him. Of course, his hearing was fine, and he was quite happy to write down on a slip of paper, "Large sausage & mushroom pizza, please."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! One of those mid-life moments (or maybe that's just me). I often turn and speak to someone in the grocery store, thinking that it's my husband and it turns out to be someone else entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the lovely comments xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. The ending brought tears to my eyes. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent story, just loved the tone and the feeling and where it led.
    Hey Sam, you might want to contact Jon Strother and have him repost your story on the Flash collector... there's a typo in your URL and it came out like this: http://www.talesofveryordinarymadness.blogspto.com/
    I guessed that it was blogspot and not blogspto... still, you'll get tons more traffic if you fix it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Heartful xxx

    And thanks for flagging that up for me, Cathy. That'll teach me to post in a hurry... I'm v grateful to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mum had something similar happen when she peered into a pram pushed by on old school chum of mine, with the words "What a lovely-" on her lips, to be followed by "-yellow blanket" because the baby inside was hideously jaundiced.
    great story Sam; keep it up. Loved 'em all, especially the toothbrush one.
    Viv

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...