Saturday, 26 February 2011

Stones, stones and more stones...

The hot briquettes glow molten orange from inside the black iron stove.

Okay, I have decided to go back to writing small stones every day....or at least nearly every day.

For those of you who don't know what I'm rabbiting on about, I took part in the 'River of Stones' project in January, started by novelist Fiona Robyns and her fiancé Kaspalita, a Buddhist priest. Put very simply, the project encouraged participants to become more mindful of their surroundings and daily life, by writing about some aspect every day, known as 'a small stone'. Fiona has produced an e-book about the practice of writing small stones, which you can download for free. It is an excellent reading, and I thoroughly recommend it.

For me personally, although there were times when the stones were a chore, I came out of the project feeling energised in a creative sense, and found myself being really productive. However, this has waned as February has gone on. I haven't been near my beloved novel-in-hand for weeks, and even found myself questioning whether or not I even want to continue with it, a real crisis of confidence for me. I'm still not sure about the answer to that one, but I definitely felt better writing a little something every day. So I'm going back to writing stones, spiritual matters aside, because I'm lazy. I need the discipline.

3 comments:

  1. Hi sam, I think small stones are a good aid to writing. They don't demand too much; just some quiet observation and creative thinking. It's odd that, when I was writing the small stones I had to discipline myself (and often failing) to write 'small', after awhile, however,I found small came easier than longer works.

    I know those crisis in confidence and the novel/s in waiting. I get exasperated with myself at times for the time I waste procrastinating or doing other things that really don't matter at all.

    Discipline is the key, but where is it kept? I've searched all the usual places and drawn a blank - maybe under the mat, or a pot plant, or a rock...

    I'd be very pleased to find it.

    X M

    ReplyDelete
  2. small stones can certainly help discipline and develop observation skills. i hope you regain your enthusiasm for your novel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, Merlene, if I could have back all the time I've wasted procrastinating, there's no end to what I could do, only I'd probably worry about how best to fill it, and end up losing it again. And discipline and I have never been well-acquainted!

    Crafty Green Poet, I don't know whether it's a need for discipline, or mid-novel nerves, but right now I'm not even sure I believe in my cherished dream of wanting to be a published novelist any more. A scary place to be...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...