Thursday, 3 March 2011

Birdsong

Chittering chattering pipping goldfinches squabble over choosing a mate.

I clambered off my hamster wheel this lunchtime, and took time out over a cup of tea in the garden. It is a beautiful day here, and the air is filled with birdsong. I often listen to the birds, imagine I'm talking to someone who has always been deaf, and try to describe what I can hear. But I find it impossible, a real struggle, to find words which capture the sheer diversity of sound. Birds don't just 'sing'. Listening to the babbling sound all around is a bit like hearing the distant echoes of schoolchildren out playing at break time. There are turf wars, kindling romances, snacks to be fought over, and, by the sound of it, a great deal of bird high-jinx and merry-making!

I love this time of year...

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh.....the original "tweet".........
    my favorite kind.........
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very whimsical in its little flash-cage. I enjoyed every sentence, Sam. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your nice comments xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I once thought that if we knew what birds were actually saying it woulnd't sound so pretty. Robins swear. They swear a lot.
    We once camped in our back garden so my parents could have our bed(small house) and the noise our resident flock of sparrows made was deafening under canvas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're right Viv!!! I once stood in the doorway admiring a pair of goldfinches chirping away on the washing line. I went back indoors, full of wonderful nature is, only to discover one of their babies lying in the lounge having being savaged by my cat....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...