Wednesday, 16 March 2011

Guessing The Mermaid's Mind...

She’d pinned her fuchsia hair above one ear with a pale pink, silk flower. Her damp, mermaid’s curls tumbled over one shoulder, highlighting the paleness of white skin which surely must never have seen the sun. And, as far as the eye could see, tattooed across the milky white, was a universe of navy stars, a celestial contagion reaching across her right breast, over her shoulder, and all the way down her arm. It’s rude to stare, but I was intrigued. Excuse me, I wanted to ask, but I’d never have the nerve: your tattoos, did they hurt? I winced, imagining. And then she turned. A hissing cobra leapt, spitting from between her swimsuit straps. It had such detail, such colour, and such artistry. But I wonder: was it love which led her to needle stars over her breasts and a snake across her back, or self-loathing? I wish I’d been brave enough to ask. I wonder if she would have been brave enough to answer.

2 comments:

  1. Aye then....an' who could guess th' mind o' th' mermaid...........?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...