Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Swans

Three young swans power their way up over the dunes, their white wings still tinged with brown.

It's the last day of the half-term holiday today, and it dawned clear, cold and sunny. A perfect morning for boys, who will have to spend the rest of the week at their desks, to be out of doors. And so the conversation went like this...

Me: Come on kids, it's a glorious day. Let's take the dog-of-small-brain for a romp on the beach.
Boys (chorus): Oh no, we want to stay here and play ipad/wii/computer. We don't want to go out. You're so unreasonable, worst mother in the world. We hate you.
Me(teeth gritted): Sigh....

Then, approximately three hours later, dosb is exhausted from chasing a sandy ball, I'm about to drop from hunger, and boys 1 and 2 are busy with an enormous sandcastle complex, which includs a cunning man-trap to break the ankles of the unwary, the conversation goes like this...

Me: Uh, kids, I've nothing with me for lunch, it's time to go home.
Boys (chorus): AWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Me: You can play on the ipad/wii/computer when we get home.
Boys: Oh no, we want to stay here and play with our sandcastles. We don't want to go home. You're so unreasonable, worst mother in the world. We hate you.

Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Does this mean I can drop the straws I've been clutching, about how things will get better when the toddler is older?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Heartful!!! I remember a conversation I had with a friend, the father of a teenaged boy, when mine were toddlers. He said, "you ain't seen nothing yet"...mine aren't quite teenagers, and already I wholeheartedly know what he meant..... xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know I am not alone :-) This tale is so wonderfully relayed and I sooooo relate to it. *Smiling and nodding head*
    Kat X

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and the same conversation between mother and boys goes on and on and on....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...