Monday, 4 April 2011

'Not-Writing'



Look at this amazing moth I found while tidying the shed at the weekend. Isn't it beautiful? I'm not sure the picture does justice to just how furry it was. I found it clinging to a piece of wood, got it onto my finger, and then put it on this bush in the garden while I took these snaps.

I should point out that 'tidying the shed' is not a normal activity for me, and indeed, I was actually employed in constructing a 'tool tidy' out of the moth's piece of wood, again, very unusual behaviour for me. Regular perusers of 'Tales' will know I'm having something of a crisis around my novel-in-progress at the moment. So 'tidying the shed' is 'not-writing', and an extremely attractive activity for the day after I received some not-altogether flattering feedback on what I've been writing.

[If anyone is interested, and you need to join to be able to read material, I've posted the opening chapters on 'Youwriteon'. I'm desperate for feedback if you have ten minutes or so to spare. I've posted under my Twitter pseudynom of 'Sam Tales'. So far I've had good and 'reserved' reviews, but they've all been tremendously helpful, and I can see now where more work is required.]
(ed.'s note - actually, I've now removed said chapters. When many reviewers spot the same fatal mistake, it's time for a spot of pruning...)

Anyway, going back to the moth. I think, and I'm happy to be corrected on this as it took hours of combing through photographs on the internet which didn't look like 'my' baby, that it's a Broad-Barred White. So far so good. Problem is, according to the website UK moths, it shouldn't be out-and-about until June. Which means that by removing it from my shed in the name of 'not-writing', I have killed it, since the nights are too cold, and indeed too wet for the poor thing to be out of doors. I went back into the garden the next day to see if I could find it, but alas, the damage was already done, and it was nowhere to be seen. I'd like to be able to tell it I'm sorry. It is truly a victim of not only my ignorance, but also my lack of self-belief.

Sorry moth....


2 comments:

  1. You never know, he may have found another shed to shelter in. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope so Heartful, I know it was 'only' a moth, but I hate it when things like this happen!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...