Friday, 1 July 2011

Grass

My husband pauses on one leg, briefcase in hand, and glares down his heron’s beak nose.

‘Grass needs cutting,’ he says.

I follow his eye, and look. The grass is lush; a riotous spread of ripe seed-heads, ribwort and dandelions swaying as pouting, blowsy poppies scorn his expected order. And I look beyond, to the bottom of the garden where Lev is working on the patio, laying each slab with the same loving care he takes when he lays me down in the long wild grass, and parts my luscious thighs. The cool grass against my naked flesh, the primal earth’s scent in my nose; he’s been reminding me how it feels to be alive. But he’s nearly done here. Later he will be gone. And then I will cut the grass.

I smile to myself, and say ‘yes dear.’

9 comments:

  1. I like this. A lot. The wild grasses as a metaphor for the wild (i assume it is wild) love making that it so beautifully disguises. Short and oh so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much said in so few words. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the description of the wild grass, itself lush: "a riotous spread of ripe seed-heads, ribwort and dandelions swaying as pouting, blowsy poppies." One wonders what will happen to all that life (in her) when Lev's gone and the grass is cut...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, it's very sensual. Can't get away from thinking what the plants might think about cutting the grass, but wonderful piece of writing all the same. Says so much in so few words - rare talent indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Icy picked the perfect word...sensual. You evoke so much in so few words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family counseling just won't do for some couples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the exact right length, with perfect details--the heron nose, on one leg, the long grass--I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, it's not very often I manage to pen a real 'shortie'. Thanks for all your comments, it's nice to return after a few days missing in action to find a story has been well received. (was going to say 'gone down well' but given the nature of this piece, that might be inappropriate!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glaring down your heron beak never got (or held onto) the girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...