Sunday, 9 October 2011

Recycled Art for TicTocc

In amongst the millions of things I haven't been doing lately, I haven't got back into doing Kat's TicTocc challenges since she restarted them after the summer. [If you don't know what I'm talking about, pop over and visit the fabulously talented Kat Wright at Wright Story, all will become clear.] But when this week's challenge (#19) arrived in my in-box, I thought, yup, I can do that. So here we are.... Ta-da! Turn empty glass cosmetics jars into tealight holders!

First take one clean, empty jar, peel off the labels and wipe the whole thing with white spirit to remove lingering adhesive.









Then decorate it with relief paste and glass paint. You need a steady hand, which I don't have...





Et voila!




and here's some I made earlier... aren't they cute?













For my next trick, I want to work out a way to turn the tons of bits of broken china I keep finding in the garden into pendants.

I have the ideas, but I'm very short on know-how. The best suggestion I've come across is to glue fabric and wire to the underside of each piece, but if anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sam

    So glad you could join me for TIC TOCC 19. I love how you've repurposed those cosmetic jars & made them into beautiful tea light holders. Gorgeous idea & would make lovely gifts.

    Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog & kind words here - they mean a lot.

    Hugs
    Kat Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to turn some of my cosmetic jars into tealight holders too, thanks for the inspiration.

    As for the bits of broken crockery, I have been beachcombing recently and found loads of beautiful pieces of 'sea ceramics' as I'm calling them and I had the same idea as you (some of these shards would make stunning jewellery if only I knew how!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tea-light holders. What a super idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I think it's because they're such pretty jars anyway, I hated throwing them away.

    Juliet, I've got piles of bits and bobs I've picked up beachcombing too. It's hard to know what to do - I think I'm going to have to start experimenting...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by, and please, feel free to tell me what you think...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...